Villa Miari De Cumani: the De Cumani family is recorded in SantElena way back in time and was closely tied to local history, where, back in 1300 a large residence stood, perhaps built on the site of previous buildings; the master house was probably surrounded by a battlemented wall. In the 16th century it was extended with the construction of some single-storey buildings on the west side of the courtyard and a barchessa, in the centre of the village. The small chapel inside the estate boundary walls was completed at a much later date; probably the middle of 1600 or 1700, but nothing is known for certain. The work that was started in 1857 by Felice Miari, followed by Giacomo, gave the villa its final appearance. The master building and outbuildings were reorganised to a project by the Bolognese architect Achille Casanova, while Osvaldo Paoletti designed the large romantic park with exotic plants and eclectic architecture, which replaced the original wood. Alongside the master house a greenhouse was built with a hayloft on top, while the pigeon tower was raised and a new stables joined it to the houses on the western side. The residence was transformed both inside and out, and the façade with the gothic entrance door was frescoed in neo-renaissance style, and on the inside the hall was decorated with fake coats of arms and drapes; the Fan Hall was painted with portrayals of the signs of the zodiac. Another room in the villa still houses five canvases that have been attributed to Palma the Younger.
Villa Miari De Cumani at Sant’Elena
The De Cumani family is recorded in SantElena way back in time and was closely tied to local history, where, back in 1300 a large residence stood. Read More