Villa Nani Loredan is a simple rectangular three-storey building situated near to the Rotella ditch which further ahead enters the River Adige. This late 16th century construction originally belonged for ¾ to Francesco Loredan and ¼ to Bernardo Nani, according to the land registers for 1666, and it was situated in line with the farmyard of the latter family. According to local traditions, an underground vaulted passage joined the building to the other master home, perhaps to give the peasants a quick connection route or to give the noble residents a safe getaway in case of need. At a later date the Loredan family bought the entire property. While the exterior is rather simple in appearance, with the main façade overlooking the road, with an arched opening on the piano nobile and a balcony and side windows, the layout and features of the interiors on the same floor are much more complex. They are arranged like Venetian palazzos, with a central passing hall and smaller rooms on both sides; the rooms have rich and varied painted decorations, including frescoes of figurative and grotesque scenes. The walls of the hall and two of the side bedrooms are entirely covered by portrayals of fake buildings, which contain mythological, allegorical figures and landscapes, attributed to the school of Paolo Veronese and, in particular, to Carletto Caliari. However the painter of the grotesqueries in the two remaining rooms is unknown. After the structural reinforcement work and pictorial restorations by the Fine Arts Councils around 1960s, the villa is now in a reasonable state of conservation.
Villa Nani Loredan at Sant’Urbano
Villa Nani Loredan was built in the late sixteenth century by the family Nani, since nell'Estimo of 1666 appears for three-quarters of Bernardo Nani for a quarter of Francesco Loredan. Read More