Work building the Villa Mocenigo Randi began in 1500, by the Mocenigo family on a flat area near to Padua, along the Cagnola canal. The main façade of the building faces the canal, and should have been a compact, rectangular isolated two-storey building, with the southern face overlooking the countryside. The name of the customer and the architectural style of the villa and certain details suggest that is was designed by Andrea Palladio, however historic and archives research still have not revealed who the project actually belonged to. However, the extensive frescoes on the piano nobile, hidden by whitewash, and uncovered in the 1970s, enabled dating the building and the ownership. The walls in the rooms on the piano nobile are completely covered by portrayals of the events of the Lepanto battle, which the Venetians won in 1571 under Doge Alvise Mocenigo, and they also contain three coats of arms of the family. Important transformations were made at the beginning of the 19th century, when the Comelli family turned the villa into their farming estate, with new outbuildings. The buildings attached to the previous main building also date back to the same period, which were used for hay barns, cellars and stores. The internal layout of the master house was also changed, removing the stairway from the ground to top floor, adding false ceilings over the original painted beam ceilings and closing off the loggia over the garden. The villa still has its 19th century appearance, and is undergoing general restoration work, uncovering the old painted surfaces.
Villa Mocenigo Randi at Gorgo
Work building the Villa Mocenigo Randi began in 1500, by the Mocenigo family on a flat area near to Padua, along the Cagnola canal. Read More