Villa Grimani Valmarana stands in the centre of Noventa Padovana, on the site of a medieval castle, which was destroyed by the Ezzelino da Romano family in the 13th century, and it was not until the 16th century that the ruins were used by the Trevisan and Loredan families for a new building. At the end of the same century the property passed onto the Erizzo family, and then from 1520 to the Patriarch of Aquileia, Domenico Grimani. The most important period in the villas history is under the ownership of the Vendramin-Calergi family, who acquired it in 1740 together with the gardens, and owned it until the end of the 19th century, and during this time the main architectural style was given to the villa, in particular the piano nobile. The villa is built on various levels, and the façade overlooking the garden is dominated by the central section with a triple opening; the piano nobile has a Serlian window and the arched central opening is repeated in the garret that terminates the façade. The interiors on the first floor were frescoed by the artist and decorator Andrea Urbani around 1772; the cycle of frescoes on the walls of the hall and surrounding rooms is one of the most important in 18th century Veneto villas and also one of the most important of Urbanis works. The central hall has views of buildings and landscapes with groups of statues at the centre, and above the doors there are allegorical figures. The smaller rooms have various decorations, mainly landscapes while the most original are in the Chinese Room, frescoed with fantastic oriental scenes. The complex was enlarged in 1926 by the Pious Foundation Elena Vendramin Calergi, after the death of the last heir of the Venetian family. The villa was recently renovated, which recovered part of the frescoes and the oldest foundation walls.
Villa Grimani Valmarana at Noventa Padovana
The villa was recently renovated, which recovered part of the frescoes and the oldest foundation walls. Read More