Villa da Ponte (now Vergerio) within Cadoneghe takes its name from the Venetian noble family which already since 1600 possessed vast tenements. The U-shaped body, has a West-facing main Facade with Music Room, the real jewel of the complex, and to its side the Oratory where the remains of the Da Ponte family are buried. A memorial stone on the face of the Oratory commemorates the day of its consacrations to St. Joseph. (14 Oct. 1749) in which Lorenzo Da Ponte, brother of Nicola hen Bishop of Ceneda, today Vittorio Veneto, partecipated. Said bishop, as was commonplace in the 17th Century, gave his own name to a young enterprising cleric of great ingenuity. He was a converted Jew who was to become famous as Mozart’s Librettist. The villa arises at the crossing of C.K. III, a main polar road, and S.D.X, a corresponding perpendicular (much like the corner of a Street and Avenue in New York in Roman town planning) and appears in a 1757 map. Further documentation on the presence of the villa are the Napoleonic Land Survey of 1783 and the Austrian one of 1845. The frescoes in the Music Room have been attributed to Giovanbattista Crosato (1686-1758). At the center of the celling is the portrayal Fame with Nicolò Da Ponte dressed as an ancient warrior by her side. At the feet of his Lordship is the Lion of St. Mark and the family crest (The “Ponte delle Guglie” bridge in Venice) held up by a Cherub.
Villa Da Ponte at Cadoneghe
Villa da Ponte (now Vergerio) within Cadoneghe takes its name from the Venetian noble family which already since 1600 possessed vast tenements. Read More