Legnaro

Palazzo Baretta at Legnaro

  1. Home
  2. /
  3. Venetian Villas
  4. /
  5. Palazzo Baretta at Legnaro
The Fossa family drastically transformed the villa both inside and out. Read More
Palazzo Baretta at Legnaro

Palazzo Baretta: the fact there was a 16th century villa in Legnaro is documented in a drawing dated 1596 which is conserved in the archives of Villa Contarini in Piazzola sul Brenta, and it may have been built on the site of a medieval construction. However the first document regarding the layout of the building is dated 1675, when Clemente Fossa bought a country house with outbuildings, orchard and courtyard, The Fossa family drastically transformed the villa both inside and out. The three arches on the main façade were changed with the introduction of a frescoed columned loggia and a gable to crown the central part, while the halls on the first floor were fitted with false ceilings which hid the original painted lacunar ceilings. Between 1872 and 1873 the new owner, Vincenzo Boscaro, had the second storey built and added a third attic floor; during this time, given Boscaro’s profession, the villa became a rest home for the nobles, and was later bought by the merchant, Giulio Rampin, better known by his nickname Spigon. In the 20th century, the complex changed hands several times and its use changed frequently as well. The Parish of Legnaro used it as an Infant School for about twenty years. The building was then abandoned until 1990 when the Baretta family began general renovation work. The villa is now in good condition, but the original development of the estate is not very clear.