Obstetric Collection at Padua

Padua

Obstetric Collection at Padua

Obstetric Collection at Padua. The Department of Gynaecological Science and Human Reproduction hosts a collection including female anatomical models made of coloured wax and clay, surgical instruments collected by Professor Luigi Calza (Bologna, 1737-1784) – a Bolognese School’s student – and the didactic material used for the first obstetric laboratory he founded in Padua in 1769. The wax models were used for practical teaching and to show anatomical and physiological aspects of the female genital system, pregnancy and puerperium. The pregnancy section consists of wax models representing uterus at different stages of gestation period and clays illustrating the foetus positions. The wax models were made by Giovan Battista Manfredini (Bologna, 1742-1829) and Pietro Sandri (Bologna 1789-?), both trained at the School of Bologna which was quite famous for this activity at the time (it has to be remembered that in 1757 Professor Galli had founded the Obstetric Museum, that today bears his name, with a vast collection of wax models made by Mr and Mrs Manzolini). The surgical instruments collection, enriched by Professor Rodolfo Lamprecht (1781-1860), includes more then 50 different obstetrical forceps, cephalotribes, craniotomes, cranioclasts, decapitating hooks and embryotoms, all of which mirror the obstetrics needs of the 18th and 19th centuries. Here, Rodolfo Lamprecht founded a library, partly preserved, that counts around 350 beautiful Italian and foreign editions – mainly German – on anatomy, gynaecology and obstetrics published between 1500 and 1830. Due to their artistic and historical value, some of the models and surgical instruments of the collection were displayed at national and international exhibitions.

Info
Via Giustiniani 3, Padova
Tel +39 049 8213400
Fax +39 049 8211842
giovannibattisti.nardelli@unipd.it

  Article added to favorites