Museum of Saint Anthony at Padua
The Museum of Saint Anthony at Padua was created in 1895 on the occasion of the seventh centenary of St Anthony’s death. In 1995 the museum reopened in the cloister of the Blessed Luca Belludi, St Anthony’s friend and secretary, once part of the 15th-century infirmary. The museum consists of two parts: the first part exhibits objects linked to the popular religion including curious, but interesting, votive offerings and decorative works once in Saint Anthony’s Basilica. The second section, the core of the museum, displays an exceptional collection of objects related to St Anthony’s worship and veneration across the centuries. The museum also represents a safe place for many artworks that were removed from their original location and find today a coherent arrangement in the museum rooms. Here are displayed some fragments of frescos belonging to the early Renaissance Giotto’s and Padua’s Schools and removed from chapels and convent cloisters, and bronzes and statues, among which those of Rinaldino di Francia, dated to the late 16th century, are quite remarkable. There are also four tarsias, once in the complex vestry, with views of the town by Pierantonio Degli Abbati. The exhibition displays a rich collection of religious and liturgical vestments, providing a very detailed view of the technical innovations and changes in taste and decorations which took place between the 15th and the 20th century. There are also many excellent oil paintings by Tiepolo, Balestra, Pittoni, Pellegrini, Ceruti and Piazzetta. Goldsmith’s works are also present in this remarkable museum: altar cards, missals bindings, aspersoriums, reliquaries, chalices and ostensories. The masterpieces once in the ‘Cappella del Tesoro’ (Treasure Chapel) are displayed in the loft.
Piazza del Santo 11, Padova
Tel +39 049 8603236
Fax +39 049 8789735