Church of Saint Massimo Museum at Borghetto
Villa del Conte
Church of Saint Massimo Museum at Borghetto. In the heart of Padua countryside there is Borghetto, an enchanting hamlet full of history. The main attraction of the area is St Massimo Oratory, recently restored by a specially founded preservation committee. The abundance of human sites belonging to the Middle and Late Bronze Ages, and some current toponyms related to embankments and castles, seem to prove the existence of Pre-Roman populations attracted here by spring waters. The historical findings today held in the oratory, together with some metallic and vitreous clay objects found in the area, prove that Borghetto was certainly included in the Romanization process of this area. During the early Middle Ages, the presence of Byzantines and Longobards gave new vitality to the village and the first centre of worship was erected, probably on pre-existent pagan ruins. It represented the holy core on which the Chapel devoted to the bishop St Massimo is likely to have been set later, between the 10th and the 11th century. Over the years, new parts were added to the core building: in 1577 it was enlarged of about one third on the west side, and in the 19th century was erected the bell tower. The small country church is now open to the public both as holy site and as museum with findings ranging from the early Christian age to the 19th century. The collection includes some objects of great value, such as a stone decorated with a cross-bringing lamb and a headstone with a praying man, both dating back to the 8th century.
Via Borghetto, Villa del Conte (PD)
Tel +39 049 9355175