The Oratory of Saint Roch at Padua lies in one of the oldest area of Padua, that is the cemetery area in front of Santa Lucia’s church. In 1746, San Rocco’s confraternity acquired a building for the meetings of the Chapter’s members; in 1525 the building of the oratory began and it was terminated by 1542. The building consists of two wide halls, one above the other, with an irregular rectangular plan and two open sides. The inner staircase leads to the upper hall, once painted with frescoes. In the lower hall, in 1697, was placed the altarpiece ‘St Mary with Saints’ by Alessandro Maganza. The frescoes cover the four walls of the oratory and illustrates San Rocco’s history. The painters involved were Domenico Campagnola (1500-1564), Girolamo Tessari (1480-1561), Gualtiero Padovano and Stefano Dall’Arzere. In 1925, Padua city council came into possession of the oratory and began to restore it: in the course of the works, in 1950, twenty square metres of frescoes were removed, cleaned and re-located on the walls of the oratory.
Via Santa Lucia, Padova
Tel +39 049 8753981