The Musme, Museum of the History of Medicine at Padova, will illustrate the century-old history of medicine. It is currently under construction and will be housed in the buildings of the former San Francesco Grande hospital complex. San Francesco Grande hospital was built in 1414 to provide health care to poor people; it represented a leading organization at that time, especially considering that 15th-century hospitals were primarily hospices for the poor. The building of the hospital was promoted by Baldo da Piombino, called Bonfari, and his wife, Sibilla de’ Cetto, who was a wealthy couple close to the da’ Carrara court. In 1798, the new Nicolò Giustiniani hospital was built (today the old city hospital) and San Francesco Grande complex lost its position as major city hospital facing an inevitable decline and several conversions over the years. In 1959 the administration of the Province of Padua decided to acquire the complex and, later, to house here the new Museum of the History of Medicine over an area of 2700 square metres. The collections will include books, scientific and didactic instruments, equipment and pieces of furniture, and some rooms will be organized to host exhibitions, conferences and meetings.
Via San Francesco 94, Padova
Tel +39 049 658767