The ancient monastery of San Salvaro is home to the Museum of Ancient Streets at San Salvaro. This building, erected in the year 1000, was managed by Saint Augustine’s monks until 1408 and then by Camaldolese monks until 1690, when it was suppressed by Pope Alexander VIII. The museum is a historical documentation centre that illustrates the evolution of the local area focusing on the ancient streets pattern. The room dedicated to means of transport hosts old vehicles used by the locals to carry goods and people on land, river and sea routes: wagons, carts, wheelbarrows, river watercrafts and there are also draught animal harnesses. The rooms on the upper floor concern cartography and display items related to professions once performed along the streets: tools of sharpeners, blacksmiths, smiths, and so on. Here are also displayed some liturgical vestments that were used during holy processions and rites. The position of the monastery, in the countryside near Fratta river bank, makes the building the ideal place for folkloristic plays, cultural meetings and seminars. The museum includes a ‘osteria’ (sort of old tavern) where visitors and passers-by can enjoy typical local food in an evocative, re-created old meeting place.
Via Pozzotto 42, San Salvaro, Urbana (PD)
Tel +39 347 6238422
Fax +39 0429 809133