Villa Rigoni Savioli at Abano Terme
Villa Rigoni Savioli is a beautiful Palladian style villa built in the 16th century. The façade has four semi-columns surmounted by a triangular tympanum. A staircase decorated with statues leads directly to the first floor. Inside the lounge is decorated with precious frescoes by GiovanBattista Zelotti, friend and apprentice of Paolo Veronese.
Villa Moro Malipiero, now owned by the Rigoni Savioli noble family, was commissioned by Nicolò Malipiero in 1557. The facade consists of four Ionic half-columns supporting a large pediment; the staircase, flanked by two statues made of Costozza’s white stone, such as those found on the three gates, leads into the principal room of the main floor or “noble floor”. On the ground floor there is a splendid cap vaulted cellar. The grand ball room, which once occupied both floors of the central part of the house, was divided after the French Revolution leaving the top half intact, while the bottom was divided into five portions. The property sits on 20,000 sq m of land with a garden, three orchards, a Colombara tower, and various barns. In the back orchard there is a thermal water well, which was damaged during the last war. Another architectural jewel on the estate is a still consecrated chapel. Many of the rooms contain frescoes by Gian Battista Zelotti, student of Veronese. The paintings evoke scenes from the Bible like David and Goliath, Moses, as well as the chivalrous epic of Angelica and Rinaldo; symbolic scenes as Envy, Fortitude and mythological as the fall of Phaeton. Everything is framed by stuccos and monochrome figures.The interior is beautifully preserved and carefully guarded. The scagliola and marble fireplace and the fresco of a young Page offering a bouquet of flowers around a doorway are also very nice. The original Palladiana flooring was made with one single casting. Inside the villa there is a vast archive of documents of the area.