Sanctuary of the Seven Churches at Monselice

Monselice

Sanctuary of the Seven Churches at Monselice

The Sanctuary of the Seven Churches at Monselice. The most prominent religious monumental complex in Monselice is set on the slopes of the Colle della Rocca. It is the Jubilee Shrine of the Seven Churches, consisting of six chapels that follow one another along the road that ascends to the square in front of Villa Duodo, where the church of San Giorgio is located. The seven votive churches are the result of the project of Pietro Duodo, a Venetian nobleman who had already built his residence in this place, with adjoining private chapel. In 1605 he received from Pope Paul V the permission to build and title the small churches as the seven major basilicas in Rome, obtaining the same privilege as a plenary indulgence. The complex, carried out by Vincenzo Scamozzi, represents the Holy City in miniature which is accessed through a monumental doorway surmounted by the inscription “Romans Basilicis Pares” which introduces to the via romana, the Roman road. The churches contain six paintings by Palma il Giovane (1548-1628) depicting the Roman basilicas corresponding to the titration of each chapel. In 1651, the bodies of three martyrs and numerous relics were brought from Rome to San Giorgio, the seventh church.  The arrival of new substantial relics in 1713 induced the family Duodo to enclose a real sanctuary to the side of the church, so to store the Holy Bodies.

Info
Via del Santuario 2, Monselice (PD)
Tel +39 0429 72130
duomomonselice@libero.it

  Article added to favorites