Traces of a village and fragments of objects of the II millennium B.C. (Bronze Age) and dating between X and IX century B.C. (Iron Age) emerged in the mires excavated during the Second World War and after the war in search of raw materials.
Archaeological Site of Le Contarine Place at Arquà Petrarca: the Mounts Bignago, Ricco and Cecilia circumscribe a very depressed valley that becomes swampy, if not artificially drained. The origin of the thick deposits of peat, a material of plant origin once used as poor fuel in substitute for coal, is in fact due to the cyclic episodes of stagnant water. Between 1944 and 1948, given the great scarcity of raw materials, the peat of this valleys was subject to intense extractive activity. Several traces of ancient villages were found in two distinct peaty layers emerged in a small quarry. The deepest layer returned few finds generically dating to the II millennium B.C. (Bronze Age), instead, the upper layer contained many pottery fragments dating approximately to X and IX century B.C. (Iron Age). One of the two peat layers preserved the remains of a wooden structure: vertical poles and a basal remediation formed by crossing and overlapping wooden beams and planks.